Inupiaq Reindeer Antler Doll, Caribou Hide Parka
- This Inupiaq reindeer antler doll, caribou hide parka is from my collection and dates to the 1970s.
- This style of doll has been found in archeological digs that dates to prehistoric times.
- Body and legs are carved caribou antler.
- This is a male doll.
- When you take off the parka, the breasts are male and he is short hair.
- The parka is made to slide on and off the doll.
- It is cut straight across on the bottom, a man’s design.
- A woman’s design has large scallops, front and back.
- The parka and pantaloons are sealskin.
- The ruff is fox.
- The moccasins, mittens and strip at the bottom of the parka are caribou hide.
- The back of the doll is signed by the doll maker, “Sue Nayukpuk”
- The doll in the parka measures 8 1/2″ tall x 3 1/2″ wide.
- Native American Dolls and Kachinas