1930s – 1940s Santa Clara Handled Dish
- 1930s – 1940s Santa Clara Handled Dish
- Large highly polished bowl with a Thunderbird design.
- Sturdy twisted coil handles.
- Old unsigned piece.
- Perfect condition.
- Beautiful glow and patina.
- 10 1/2″ across x 3 3/4″ tall.
- This Puebloan Nation uses the black on black pottery style quite beautifully.
- The decoration comes from the highly polishing the pottery, often with stones.
- This is where the term “stone-polish” comes from.
- Since the 1930s, potters have been experimenting with designs of matte black on polished black finish.
- It is much like those first made at the San Ildefonso pueblo of New Mexico.
- Native American Pueblo Pottery