This Is An Old Porcupine Quilled Tipi Pillow Made Of Heavy Braintanned Buckskin That Is Lightly Smoked.
- Porcupine Quilled Tipi Pillow
- The entire surface of the pillow is porcupine quilled in a flat straight stitch.
- The central design element are two American flags with an eagle or thunderbird in the center.
- This motif is surrounded by four continuous lines, both top and bottom, in natural white red and purple dyed quills.
- The pillow is all thread sewn and stuffed with buffalo hair.
- One can see a few hairs protruding from the seams.
- Condition is very good.
- One quill being partially damaged and two quills were loose and have been glued back in place
- The size of the pillow is 19 14″ long x 13″ wide
- The back side of this pillow is undecorated.
- It could be turned over to the undecorated side when used for sleeping.
- The decorated side was for show on a backrest or tipi buffalo robes
- This is a highly unusual piece and the first time we have acquired such in 25 years
- Native American Quill Work