1950s Mayan Indian Wooden Saint James Santos
- 1950s Mayan Indian Wooden Saint James Santos
- This Unusual Handpainted Santos Bares The Inscription “Santiago Matamoros Pedro Fresquis”.
- These Santos’s were carved by Indians in the employ of the Catholic church.
- They were either displayed in Nicho’s in the churches and sometimes sold to raise funds.
- The figure is St. James, conqueror of the Moors, on his rearing stallion.
- He is entirely wood with a jesso overlay and hand painted.
- The tail of the horse is horsehair. The reigns are leather.
- As is expected with these older Santos figures, it is unsigned.
- He stands 15″ tall x 16″ wide.
- His condition overall is good but he has been used.
- There is some spalling to the right front hock of his leg that can be seen in the images.
- Due to the fragility of this piece, we do not extend the our return policy.